Originally known as the YO-57, the Taylorcraft
L-2 came from the commercial Taylorcraft Model D, and was
one of a series of light aircraft used in the observation
and liaison mission during World War II. The L-2 featured
a high-wing, tandem seats, and dual controls, and was the
first tested by the Army in 1941 along with the Aeronca
YO-58, and the Piper Y0-59. All three types were ordered,
and all were known as 'Grasshoppers'. The L-2M was the
final version of the L-2, and featured a fully cowled
engine, and the fitting of wing spoilers. All of the
aircraft were unarmed.
Span: 36 ft.
Length: 22 ft. 9 in.
Height: 6 ft. 8 in.
Weight: 1,325 lbs. loaded
Engine: Continental O-170-3 of 65 hp.
Displayed as (S/N): 42-26753
Maximum speed: 92 mph.
Cruising speed: 83 mph.
Range: 227 miles
Service Ceiling: 12,000 ft
Aircraft is currently in flying status at MAPS
Copyright © 2003, 2004, 2005 MAPS Air Museum