This design first flew as Hughes Model 292 in 1956. It was then evaluated by the U.S. Army in 1958 as a light observation helicopter, and five production examples were delivered to the Army as the YHO-2. Then in 1964, the U.S. Army adopted the Model 292 as its primary rotary wing trainer and designated it the TH-55A Osage. A total of 792 TH-55A’s were delivered to the Army by 1969. They were shipped to the Army training facilities at Fort Rucker and Fort Wolters, where often times over a hundred could be seen in the air over the base at one time. Finally, in 1988, the TH-55 was replaced as an Army trainer by the Bell UH-1 Iroquois.
The museum’s aircraft’s serial number is 64-18059 and served with the U.S. Army. After its military service, it also served with the Cleveland Police Department. It will be restored to static condition in U.S. Army configuration.
Jerry Stagg's 269A 68-16969. Max Cruise for a TH55A is 75 KNOTS, That is RED LINE per!
Copyright © 2003, 2004, 2005 MAPS Air Museum