Lockheed T-33 “Shooting Star”

Aircraft History The T-33 was the most widely used jet trainer in the world. A two-seat version of the USAF’s first jet fighter, the F-80 Shooting Star, the T-33 continues to serve in various armed forces today. The T-33 is a F-80 with a lengthened fuselage to make room for the second tandem seat. It […]

Cessna T-37A “Tweet” (white)

Aircraft Background Formerly assigned to the Florida Military Aviation Museum at Clearwater-St. Petersburg Airport, when the museum closed the aircraft were removed from the facility and placed in outside storage. Officially a part of the U.S. Air Force Museum, Wright Patterson AFB collection, the T-37 has just been placed on indefinite loan to MAPS Air […]

North American T-28 “Trojan”

Aircraft Background During the early 1950’s the French were facing an uprising in their colony of Algeria. When outright war began in 1954, the primary aircraft used for ground attack and close air support missions was the North American T-6 Texan. While easy to maintain and operate, the T-6 was highly vulnerable to ground fire […]

Fairchild PT-19 “Cornell”

Aircraft Background First developed in 1938 as a civilian aircraft (the M-62), orders for this rugged primary trainer grew rapidly with the onset of World War II. By war’s end, over 7,000 Cornells variants were produced. Cornells were supplied to Canada, Norway, Brazil, Ecuador, and Chile. To keep up with demand, they were built under […]

Vultee BT-13 “Valiant”

Aircraft Background The Valiant was the basic trainer most widely used by the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. It represented the second of the three stages of pilot training — primary, basic and advanced. Compared with the primary trainers in use at the time, it was considerably more complex. The BT-13 not […]

Beechcraft SNB-5 “Expeditor”

Aircraft Background World War II U.S. Navy light transport/multi-engine trainer. Aircraft’s History The Museum’s Beech was built in 1943 as a Beech AT-7. The construction number was 5479 and its USAAF s/n was 43-33316. It was delivered to the USAAF Navigation Training School at San Marcos, Texas on October 26, 1943. Cost of construction was […]