Keeping World War II History Alive ~ Crew 1944
If you are between the ages of 14 and 114, and are interested in military history – particularly the World War II era – then this is for you!
One of the youth groups that MAPS Air Museum sponsors, Venture BSA – Crew 1944, by providing a location for their meetings and a place to park their equipment, in addition to paying the annual charter fee. Venture BSA – Crew 1944, in return, helps with MAPS at many of their yearly events with parking assistance, tear-down of equipment and other activities.
The reenactments they perform are of the 5th Ranger Battalion in its living history impression and does the 101st Airborne as a secondary unit. You can meet the group at their table in the NEO Military Collections Show at MAPS Air Museum on Sunday, March 29th from 9-4 PM.
2020 Event schedule
*All dates subject to change;
Monthly meeting first Sunday of each month in the MAPS Museum Library from 1300-1600
- January 18: Reenactors’ Dinner & Dance 1700 – 2200 hrs @ La Pizzeria
- February 6-9: Battle of the Bulge Reenactment, Camp Beaumont/Rock Creek,OH
- March 7: Day trip to Amato’s Army/Navy, Meadville, PA
- March 28-29: Militaria Show @ MAPS
- April 26: MAPS Pancake Breakfast 0800 – 1300 hrs
- May 8-9: Museum of the US Air Force – Dayton, OH
- May 13-16: MVPA National Convention – Findlay, Ohio
- May 24-25: Memorial Day overnight/parades
- June 19-21: WWII Weekend in Lewisburg, Ohio
- July 12: MAPS Pancake Breakfast 0800- 1300 hrs
- July 17-19: Ride Through History – Alliance, Ohio
- August 8: Hall of Fame Parade – Canton, Ohio
- August 14-16: Collings Wings of Freedom Tour at MAPS
- August 19-22: D-Day Ohio Reenactment – Conneaut, Ohio
- September 11-12: Steam to Victory – Sugarcreek, Ohio
- September 20: MAPS Pancake Breakfast 0800 – 1300 hrs
- October 9-11: Lauer Farm WWII weekend – Lima, Ohio
- October 24-25: Militaria Show @ MAPS
*Regular meetings will not be held on Sundays which fall on holiday weekends. In 2020, no meeting in July and September. Events may be added which were not announced at press time. See our website for current dates, events and information.
A Venture Crew is a group which is organized under the umbrella of the Boy Scouts of America. Youth members are ages 14 – 20, with adults 21 and over. Adult leaders are to be certified and trained under the guidelines set forth by the BSA. Current members of the BSA are able to join a Venture Crew with a multiple membership with no extra registration fee. You don’t already have to be a member of the Boy Scouts to join this crew.
Look for them on Facebook or on their website:
The Crew will meet monthly on the first Sunday of each month from 1 until 4 PM at the MAPS Air Museum, located on the west side of the Akron-Canton Airport. Meetings may consist of a variety of things, including historical programming, guest speakers, equipment maintenance, preparation for upcoming events, training or practical experience with military equipment, field trips, service to the chartering organization, and other related activities. Youth members will be encouraged to adopt a person from history to “become” for living history events and demonstrations. The Crew will participate in area and regional events which honor our military and its veterans, and will be affiliated with World War II reenacting groups, so that it’s members can participate in their activities as age requirements are satisfied. Parents of youth members are encouraged to participate and become involved as they are able.
Crew members will be responsible to assemble the gear necessary for living history and reenacting events, including period correct uniforms, mess gear, bunking equipment, and other equipment necessary for their age and impression. The Crew will supply general equipment, such as tentage, cooking equipment, and group supplies.
Examples of Crew activities will include:
- Attend military shows
- Participate in public events, such as parades & memorial ceremonies
- Visit historical places like Camp Perry, the Air Force Museum, and The USS Cod
- Receive training on firearm use and safety
- Provide living history displays and reenactments for related events, such as The Ride Through History in Alliance and D-Day Ohio at Conneaut
- Become familiar with historic military vehicles, including restoration, maintenance, and just getting to ride in them
- And much more!
Below are the contacts if you are interested in joining or just have an inquiry:
- Crew Advisor: Jim Cassler – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Associate Advisors: Tim Moeller – Temoeller@hotmail.com; or Brian Cassler – email@example.com
- Committee Chairman: Dale Lamm – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charter Representative: Jim Felner – email@example.com
- Recruiting Chairman: Joe Warehime – firstname.lastname@example.org