If you are between the ages of 14 and 114, and are interested in military history – particularly the World War II era – then this is for you!
One of the youth groups that MAPS Air Museum sponsors, Venture BSA – Crew 1944, by providing a location for their meetings and a place to park their equipment, in addition to paying the annual charter fee. Venture BSA – Crew 1944, in return, helps with MAPS at many of their yearly events with parking assistance, tear-down of equipment and other activities.
The reenactments they perform are of the 5th Ranger Battalion in its living history impression and does the 101st Airborne as a secondary unit. You can meet the group at their table in the NEO Military Collections Show at MAPS Air Museum on Sunday, March 31 from 9-4 PM.
Below is the schedule for 2019 (subject to change):
- January 26: Equipment Work Day @ Camp Cassler 0900 – 1700
- February 16: Reenactor Training @ Camp Workman 0800 – 1600
- March 31: Militaria Show @ MAPS 0900 – 1600
- May 3-5: Ohio Civil War Show encampment – Mansfield, OH
- May 26-27: Memorial Day encampment & parades
- June 14-16: Muster on the Maumee encampment/reenactment – Perrysburg, OH
- July 5 – 6: Steaming to Victory encampment/reenactment – Sugarcreek, OH
- July 19 – 21: Ride Through History encampment/reenactment – Alliance, OH
- August 14 – 18: D-Day Ohio encampment/reenactment – Conneaut, Ohio
- September 21-23: WWII Weekend encampment/reenactment – Gettysburg, PA
- October (date TBD): Militaria Show @ MAPS 0900 – 1600
- November 11: Veterans Day; activities TBD
- December 14: Wreath Honor Guard @ Western Reserve Nat’l Cemetery 0730 – 1230
*No regular meetings@ MAPS in May & July due to weekend encampment
A Venture Crew is a group which is organized under the umbrella of the Boy Scouts of America. Youth members are ages 14 – 20, with adults 21 and over. Adult leaders are to be certified and trained under the guidelines set forth by the BSA. Current members of the BSA are able to join a Venture Crew with a multiple membership with no extra registration fee. You don’t already have to be a member of the Boy Scouts to join this crew.
Look for them on Facebook or on their website: www.worldwar2reenactors.org.
The Crew will meet monthly on the first Sunday of each month from 1 until 4 PM at the MAPS Air Museum, located on the west side of the Akron-Canton Airport. Meetings may consist of a variety of things, including historical programming, guest speakers, equipment maintenance, preparation for upcoming events, training or practical experience with military equipment, field trips, service to the chartering organization, and other related activities. Youth members will be encouraged to adopt a person from history to “become” for living history events and demonstrations. The Crew will participate in area and regional events which honor our military and its veterans, and will be affiliated with World War II reenacting groups, so that it’s members can participate in their activities as age requirements are satisfied. Parents of youth members are encouraged to participate and become involved as they are able.
Crew members will be responsible to assemble the gear necessary for living history and reenacting events, including period correct uniforms, mess gear, bunking equipment, and other equipment necessary for their age and impression. The Crew will supply general equipment, such as tentage, cooking equipment, and group supplies.
Examples of Crew activities will include:
- Attend military shows
- Participate in public events, such as parades & memorial ceremonies
- Visit historical places like Camp Perry, the Air Force Museum, and The USS Cod
- Receive training on firearm use and safety
- Provide living history displays and reenactments for related events, such as The Ride Through History in Alliance and D-Day Ohio at Conneaut
- Become familiar with historic military vehicles, including restoration, maintenance, and just getting to ride in them
- And much more!
Below are the contacts if you are interested in joining or just have an inquiry:
- Crew Advisor: Jim Cassler – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Associate Advisors: Darren Rowland – email@example.com; or Brian Cassler – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Committee Chairman: Dale Lamm – email@example.com
- Charter Representative: Jim Felner – firstname.lastname@example.org